Double your donation to Lake Christian Ministries, Inc.
with local matching support!
Generous SML donor will match donations up to $10,000
processed on RVG Day March 13
Lake Christian Ministries offers support for our Neighbors in need in the Smith Mountain Lake area of Bedford, Franklin and Pittsylvania counties. LCM’s 240 volunteers provide food, clothing, crisis financial assistance, and a New Tomorrows Program that focuses on moving our Neighbors out of poverty. The New Tomorrows services include a Partners Program which builds long-term relationships between Neighbors and volunteer Partners that focus on self-improvement programs and employment to help move families toward a better future.
LCM works toward achieving a vision of a poverty-free Smith Mountain Lake community where each individual is valued, is connected and lives in hope. Your donation will help attain this vision by providing:
More than 171,370 nutritious meals to nearly 2,000 individuals in need through its food center in Moneta and mobile pantries that travel to Penhook United Methodist Church and Moneta Senior Center;
Holiday food baskets to LCM families for Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas serving nearly 2,300 individuals;
Back-to-school supplies to 240 children in grades K-12;
Clothing and holiday gifts to 350 children through “A Child’s Christmas”;
Emergency financial assistance for 260 families through direct payment to providers for housing, fuel, utilities, medical service, denture support and other special needs;
Getting Ahead in a Just Getting by World program support for 43 Neighbors to empower them to improve their lives with classes and mentoring designed to build financial independence and self-sufficiency;
An LCM Partner for 30 motivated Neighbors to overcome the barriers keeping them in poverty, benefit from life improvement classes and secure meaningful employment that will improve the future for themselves and their families;
Employment for individuals in need of jobs through our New Tomorrows and Business Partner programs; 53% of previous Getting Ahead graduates are now employed in part-time or full-time jobs and the remaining 47% are working toward a secure future with college classes, family counseling and medical support.
LCM Neighbor success stories provide hope for the future!
Melanie came to the New Tomorrows program in October 2018 with situational poverty issues. She struggled with severe physical and mental health issues over a two-year period that resulted in job loss and depletion of her emergency savings. Facing eviction for the first time in her life, she came to LCM and began a Partner relationship. During the first 90 days of the partnership, Melanie worked with her Partner to secure safe, temporary housing and build a supportive network of health, disability, education, church and job placement resources and relationships. She is now employed and is working to obtain reliable transportation and permanent housing. “My outlook on life has changed dramatically thanks to my LCM partnership. For the first time in a long time, I have hope for the future,” said Melanie.
Tammy suffered with depression and addiction after years of abuse. She was homeless, living in her jeep, and had lost custody of her three children. She participated in a Getting Ahead in a Just Getting by World class and began an LCM partnering relationship. Tammy’s Partner helped her secure a job, but because of her instability, she was unable to keep the job. After continued work with her Partner, Tammy was rehired and has received several raises. She has created a home and is able to provide support for her children who are now living with her. Tammy’s Partner connected her with other community resources that are helping her regain control of her life. “I'm obviously still a work in progress, but I've come a long way. I gave up a couple of times, but my Partner saw something in me that I couldn't see myself. I've learned that there are a wide variety of resources out there to help with most setbacks I have come across,” Tammy stated.
Ann is a graduate of LCM’s Getting Ahead in a Just Getting by World class. Since she was a teenager, she had had bad teeth. Now, at age 36, with LCM’s help, she will have teeth extracted to prepare for dentures. Once her dentures are in place, she plans to apply to school and train to become a dental assistant. She had always wanted to work in this field, but she was sure that she would not be hired with decayed teeth. “This denture service and LCM program support will enable me to move from minimum wage jobs toward building a career to support my family,” Ann said.
See more success stories at our website www.lakechristianministries.org or visit our Facebook page.